Importance of Blood Sugar Monitoring
Blood tests are important for monitoring sugar levels because they provide objective and precise measurements that aid in diagnosing conditions, adjusting treatment plans, detecting imbalances, tracking long-term control, and enabling personalized management of sugar levels.
Here are a few reasons why blood tests are important for monitoring sugar:
- Diagnosis: Blood tests are often used to diagnose conditions such as diabetes or prediabetes. Elevated blood sugar levels can indicate the presence of these conditions, helping your doctor to make an accurate diagnosis and develop an appropriate treatment plan.
- Treatment adjustment: For individuals already diagnosed with diabetes, blood tests are crucial for monitoring and managing their sugar levels effectively. Regular blood tests provide valuable information about how well the prescribed treatment plan is working. This allows doctors to tailor medication doses, dietary recommendations, and lifestyle modifications to maintain optimal sugar control.
- Long-term monitoring: Blood tests provide insights into long-term sugar control by measuring a marker called hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c). This test reflects average blood sugar levels over the past two to three months. It helps assess the effectiveness of diabetes management strategies and guides adjustments in treatment plans to maintain target sugar levels.
The most common diagnostic blood tests that may be suggested by your healthcare provider to monitor your blood sugar levels include:
- Fasting Plasma Glucose Test (FPG): This blood test measures your blood sugar level after refraining from eating for at least 8 hours. A result of 126 mg/dL or above on two separate occasions indicates the presence of diabetes.
- Oral Glucose Tolerance Test (OGTT): This test measures your blood sugar level after fasting for a minimum of 8 hours, and then again 2 hours after consuming a beverage containing glucose. A reading of 200 mg/dL or higher 2 hours after the glucose beverage indicates diabetes.
- Hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c) Test: This test determines your average blood sugar level over the previous 2-3 months. A reading of 6.5% or higher suggests the presence of diabetes.
If you want to get accurate results from the comfort of your home, you can opt for blood test services provided by health2home. The trained healthcare specialists who visit you follow the norms put forth by the health authorities, making sure that there is no sort of contamination.
If you are travelling to Bangalore, India and need the same services, we have got your back as we provide blood test at home services there too.